Wednesday 31st July, 2013

There are a couple of additional ladies on the Ashes tour this year, whom for various reasons I haven't yet mentioned on this blog. One of those women I have had the pleasure of spending much time with on recent tours is Rod Marsh's wife Ros.

Both Ros and Jane Inverarity have some amazing stories about touring with their husbands (or rather, not being allowed on tour) and it really makes me appreciate the way in which Cricket Australia allow us to travel with our partners today. I am honoured that Ros has agreed to answer some of my questions for today's blog.

Ros, how have things changed for the wives and partners since you were a cricket 'WAG' back in the 1970s and 80s?

My first tour was to England in 1972. I had to work three jobs to afford the trip because the players earnings were megre. I managed to scrape up the airfare by teaching and waitressing at two restaurants. Our son Paul (aged four months) and I stayed with my parents until I left for England which enabled us to rent our house out to cover the housing loan. My parents then looked after Paul when I went away, which for Rod was a five and a half month tour but I only made it over there for the last two weeks.

In those days the wives were not allowed to stay with the players or even set foot in the team hotel! There was certainly no special treatment for the girls of our era - we were just lucky to even get a seat at the ground. The wives at home were a fantastic bunch and we supported each other in every way, just as you girls do on tour. We are still special friends to this day and that's something we all treasure.

Can you share with us one of your most fond memories of touring with Rod and the Aussie cricket team?

It might sound strange but the phrase "touring with Rod" makes me chuckle. It just didn't happen. The wives of our era stayed and travelled independently and saw our boys on the field and after play provided it fitted in with the team schedule. Over time the players found this quite ridiculous so would join us at the 'girls hotel' leaving the team hotel with vacant rooms. Things changed quite dramatically after World Series Cricket.

What was the longest stint you endured being away from Rod when he was on tour and what challenges did it present?

Every Ashes Tour was long, usually five months. Communication was nothing like it is today. We would send weekly letters and if we could afford it, we'd place an international phone call once a month. The hardest times were when the kids were sick. We found out just before Rod was to leave for Sri Lanka that our youngest son Jamie (then aged four years old) had diabetes. That was a really tough tour. I really feel for Brad Haddin and his family at the moment.

You travel a lot now with Rod whilst he's touring as a selector. Do you have any tips for the current generation of wives and partners of the Australian cricket team?

The thing I always love to see at the cricket, are wives and partners supporting the entire team, not just their partners. I get the feeling that this group of partners know a lot more about the game than the girls of our era and are very capable and independent. I hope they all really enjoy the opportunities they have and the friendships they make. I am sure they will.

Ros Marsh relaxing in the team hotel
* Rod Marsh played cricket for Australia between 1970 and 1984 during which time the Aussies toured Pakistan, England, New Zealand, the West Indies and Sri Lanka. He is currently touring with the Australian cricket team in his role as a selector. John Inverarity (the Chairman of Selectors) and his wife Jane are also travelling on the 2013 Ashes tour.