Monday 5th August, 2013

For those who (like me) don't know a great deal about cricket and more specifically the Ashes, you may appreciate this 'guide' that I just found online:

"A team must win a series to gain the right to hold the Ashes. A drawn series results in the previous holders retaining the Ashes. Prior to the current series, sixty-six series have been played, with Australia winning 31 and England 30. The remaining five series were drawn, with Australia retaining the Ashes four times (1938, 1962–63, 1965–66, 1968) and England retaining it once (1972)."

At the conclusion of today's match (officially abandoned due to the inclement weather) and having won the last series in Australia in 2010/11, England will now formally retain the Ashes. Although I promised not to provide any cricket opinion or commentary on this website, what I will say is that in the words of the immortal Cricket Australia twitter post originating from Lord's a few weeks ago, I think the result "sucks ass". We fully deserved to win this match and if it hadn't been for the rain delays, Ryan Harris would've eaten them for lunch.

On a lighter note, I ran into Graeme Swann's wife Sarah in the hospitality box today. Ed and I became friends with the Swanns during our time in Nottingham this year and they have two beautiful children, Wilf who is bit older than Romy, and Charlotte who is slightly younger. Throughout this Ashes series the English Cricket Board have very kindly provided a creche for all of the players' kids and Sarah and I were discussing what arrangements will be in place in Australia for their forthcoming visit (for the next Ashes series) later this year.

This brings me to the primary thing I will remember most about our time on this tour: and that's how super friendly and accommodating everyone has been. The ECB have been outstandingly hospitable to us throughout the series and everyone including administrative and ground staff at all of the venues have gone out of their way to make us feel extra welcome. I'm sure I speak on behalf of everyone in saying that we're truly grateful to the ECB for all that they've done and I hope we can return the favour to our Pommy friends when they hit our shores in November.


The Swann girls with the Cowan girls