Friday 2nd August, 2013

For the first time today (aside from when Romy and Ed were sick during the first Test) I decided not to go to the cricket. I really needed a full day at the hotel to get some things done: book a car to get us to Durham next week, do some laundry, reply to any of the hundreds of emails sitting in my inbox, wash my hair...

The days are all starting to blend into one (we meet in the foyer, catch a cab to the cricket, sit in the same seats, eat at the same places) and for me the only difference to each evening depends on which hotel carpet I'm sprawled out on. The hotel hallways and foyers have become my lounge-room, particularly when Romy needs 'quiet time' before going to sleep. Noise isn't the issue - without having a separate bedroom to fall asleep in, she is easily distracted and just knowing that someone else is in the room makes her to want to stay up and play.

We close the drapes and put her to bed before sneaking out into the hallway, where we then camp on the floor and wait until she's sound asleep (beyond that we could party in the room and she wouldn't wake up). Quite humorously, our neighbours in the adjoining rooms didn't realise that we had a sleeping baby and admitted yesterday they'd all had bets on what my sister and I were doing. One said they thought we'd locked ourselves out. Another thought we were taking it in turns of using the bed! We must look absolutely ridiculous but under the circumstances, that's just the lengths we have to go to.

Last night out of sheer boredom I posted a photo of myself on instagram along with an explanatory caption that I was "sitting in the hotel hallway waiting for Romy to fall asleep". It was an absolute treat to wake up this morning and find so many responses sympathising with my antics and a huge relief to realise I'm not the only one resorting to such methods. As you can see for yourself in the screenshot below, it's been done by many others.. including some of the great cricket-wives/parents before me!

Screenshot from Instagram @virginia03