Wednesday 17th July, 2013

Guest Blogger KEIRA WILLS explains what it's like to be one of the girls on tour when her partner isn't a member of the playing squad.

"My experience in going to a cricket match to watch the Aussie team is often a very different one to the wives and partners of the players. Whilst they are there to support the team and more specifically their partners, I usually only see my partner Matt (Cricket Australia's Media Manager) on the ground before and after a days play when he is organising media interviews etc.

When speaking with friends, family and colleagues back at home in Melbourne and explaining to them how and why I have all of these amazing opportunities to travel the world and visit so many wonderful, beautiful and exotic cricket playing countries, their reaction is often “I hope you like cricket”. In answer to their questions, I can honestly say that I do! I’m a sports buff who will happily sit at any sporting event across the country or globe and be entertained for hours. So for me, being here for the first two matches of an Ashes series in England, it’s safe to say that I am a little bit excited – not to mention I have made my cricket loving father back home a little bit jealous.

I thoroughly enjoy being at the games to watch a days play from start to finish (however some day this isn’t always the case) and I also enjoy the social aspect that going to a days play brings. It gives me the chance to chat to almost all of the wives and partners throughout a Test match, which keeps the days interesting and every day different. Over the next couple of weeks I will have the opportunity to watch quite a few days of cricket, which means plenty of time to catch up with all the girls, some who I haven’t seen in a while and some I have never met, and also plenty of time to enjoy some great matches. I can’t wait to see how the next few weeks unfold." - KW


The 'girls on tour' at last night's Australian High Commission cricket reception.
(L-R) Virginia, Anna, Carly, Kyly, Keira, Mel, Cherie, Kayla, Dani, Madi, Tessa, Lynn