Saturday 20th July, 2013

Guest Blogger ROZ KELLY shares her very unique perspective as one of the only female reporters on 'Tour de Ashes'.

"Sitting on the steps outside my hotel at midnight shoving my face with chocolate and chips is where I'm writing this blog from and no I'm not going through a breakup - this is the "glamorous" life of a TV reporter on tour. To be completely honest, behind the scenes it's absolute chaos.

My room has a pile of washing - by that I mean two suitcases full of dirty clothes chucked on the floor that I'm yet to sort out. And oh boy am I caffeine charged. My normal clean living lifestyle is out the window for the next two months, it's all about survival. That's coffee, coffee and more coffee. I did pack running shoes but have hidden them back inside my suitcase because I could sense them staring at me making me feel guilty.

Covering the greatest sporting events in the world is a dream job. It's really special to be a part of something like the Ashes that unites our country, be trusted to tell inspiring stories and watch dreams come true. Sport is awesome and if I'm feeling stressed I look around and remind myself what an amazing office I have.

But so much more goes on behind the scenes than just standing in front of a camera and smiling, which is all people see. On this tour I'm operating on UK and Aussie time so the hours are huge - 5am till midnight - and I must also be mentally sharp and look respectable for every program and story we do, when I honestly feel like I'd look better if I was run over. You get a big adrenaline rush when crossing live, then crash, then are back up again, then down… it's a rollercoaster for the mind and body. I do all of my own research, write my own content and stories... everything from from training to match day and special features and interviews.  Basically we can't miss a thing. The pressure is on.

After the first Test I interviewed Michael Clarke and had a massive brain fade mid chat. I completely forgot what we were talking about. All everyone could do was laugh it off. It's taken me a while but I've learnt now you can't take yourself too seriously in this job or you won't soak up the incredible moments unfolding in front of you. It's all part of the adventure of an Ashes tour.

Out of the first Test came so many amazing stories, bring on the next four Tests. I'll just go duck style and keep paddling like crazy and hope it all looks smooth on the surface.  Do ducks drink coffee?" - RK


Roz Kelly interviewing Michael Clarke